Full Disclosure mailing list archives

From kernel memory disclosure to privilege escalation: when and how?

From: Kevin Johnson <kevjohnson71 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:53:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!
Could somebody write what threats there are when kernel memory disclosure is found?
I mean not along with another bug (since kmem disclosure could lead to some interesting pointers addresses and values,
etc), but only itself!?
I guess it could lead to /etc/shadow disclosure, if some suid programs accessing it would be running in the background
(chsh, for example). Is it correct?
BTW, when chsh and other programs-accessing-shadow-file are running, where do they store the /etc/shadow content? On
the kernel stack in it's thread_union, or somewhere else?

So, besides /etc/shadow disclosure, are there any significant places, where kernel memory disclosure could lead to very
likely privilege escalation?

Thank you.