Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Getting Off the Patch

From: "Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]" <cal.leeming () simplicitymedialtd co uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 22:29:13 +0000

Apologies if I have completely missed the point here, as I have only skimmed
through this.

Most people wouldn't rely solely on patch day to protect their
systems/network, they would also employ the use of a NIDS / HIDS to mitigate
the risk further (of course, said solutions should have a large community
base and/or a record of releasing 0day incrementals in a timely manner). On
top of this, workstation based anti virus packages (such as AVG or w/e), to
help prevent those pesky drive by kits.

Taking all that into consideration, I would agree that patching shouldn't be
considered the "be all and end all" of security, but that's no reason to
disable patching completely, surely? The more layers of protection you add,
the better your odds are.

The idea of presenting these ideals as a training opportunity is a clever
idea, but only if the trainers themselves are established names in the
security field, otherwise it will be another case of "the blind leading the
blind".