Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: encrypt the bash history

From: Emanuel dos Reis Rodrigues <emanueldosreis () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:17:15 -0400

I agree with Peter, if you control the root user ... the bash history is the minnor problem ...

Emanuel dos Reis Rodrigues
Senior Level Linux Professional (LPIC-3) LPI 302 (Mixed Environment) Specialty
LPI 304 (Virtualization and High Availability) Specialty
C|EH Certified Ethical Hacker
CompTIA Security+ Certified
http://br.linkedin.com/in/emanuelreis
t:@emanueldosreis
emanueldosreis(No*SpAm)gmail.com
Mobile: +55 95 8112-9628

Peter Maxwell wrote:

To be honest, none of these methods will actually be effective: root can do what he/she likes, including monitoring *everything* you do. Worrying about shell history is not going to solve anything.

Your only choices are to trust root, or setup your own host.

Peter Maxwell

    <mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

    >>> Explain what the threat model is, and why GPG isn't safe
    enough?  It's kind of
    >>> hard to recommend "best" when we don't understand what the
    criteria are...

    >> The "way" is not safe enough. root can login as me (su - user) and
    >> bash_history will be decrypted. I try to find any better way to
    crypt
    >> and make unreadable the bash_history file from any other users,
    >> including root.
    >
    > Not to mention the fact that your .bash_history file is unencrypted
    > the entire time you're logged in.

    This is the problem on my "way" to protect/crypt the bash_history.

     A better alternative, if you're
    > that anxious about your shell history falling into the wrong
    hands, is
    > to disable it entirely:
    >
    > unset HISTFILE
    > HISTSIZE=0
    >
    > You can also tell bash to not record commands that begin with a
    space:
    > HISTCONTROL=ignorespace
    >
    > More fine-grained control can be achieved with the HISTIGNORE
    > variable.  See the 'Shell Variables' section of the bash(1) manpage.
    >
    > Finally, I wrote these functions to toggle history recording on/off
    > in a shell.  I like how this works, when I remember to run it
    beforehand:

    > # turn off history recording
    > function offtherecord()
    > {
    >     if [[ -n "$HISTFILE" ]]; then
    >         OLDHISTFILE=$HISTFILE
    >         unset HISTFILE
    >     fi
    >     if [[ -n "$HISTSIZE" ]]; then
    >         OLDHISTSIZE=$HISTSIZE
    >         HISTSIZE=0
    >     fi
    > }
    >
    > # turn on history recording
    > function ontherecord()
    > {
    >     if [[ -n "$OLDHISTFILE" ]]; then
    >         HISTFILE=$OLDHISTFILE
    >         unset OLDHISTFILE
    >     fi
    >     if [[ -n "$HISTSIZE" ]]; then
    >         HISTSIZE=$OLDHISTSIZE
    >         unset OLDHISTSIZE
    >     fi
    > }
    >
    > Once you've run offtherecord, you lose all of your history for
    that shell until
    > you log back in.

    Nice tip, but this solution doesn't work for me. I don't wanna avoid
    logging commands nor delete the bash history nor hide the commands. I
    wanna "encrypt" the file. I don't wanna miss commands which I
    executed.

    Another solution may be copy and move the history file from the server
    to the client, saving the bash_history on client side. But ...
    this will
    not work if I connect using client as putty.

    thanks for the asnwer,

    - --
    Zerial
    Seguridad Informatica
    GNU/Linux User #382319
    Blog: http://blog.zerial.org
    Jabber: zerial () jabberes org <mailto:zerial () jabberes org>