Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: one of my servers has been compromized

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 19:21:38 -0500

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:14:29 PST, Gage Bystrom said:

Maybe I'm misreading what you said, and if so please correct me, but
whether or not the changes described were applied in the first place or not
wouldn't change the issue that if you needed root unneutered again you
would need to bring down the system.

Right.

serious pain if suddenly you needed unneutered root again. Would likely
have to take the system down to fix it. Who wants to be the guy to explain
that situation to their boss?

"Hey boss, I *told* you a server failure would cause an outage, and you didn't
fund the purchase of redundant HA gear".  All the explain you should be needing
to do.