Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Sophos Antivirus Review

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () cmpxchg8b com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:00:08 +0200

List, I've prepared a paper to accompany a presentation at
blackhat las vegas discussing Sophos Antivirus design. It might be of
interest to those evaluating or deploying Sophos Antivirus.

http://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/Sophail.pdf

I've also created some tools to help understand and dump Sophos
signature files, which I'll release soon.

My impression of Sophos technology is not positive, however Sophos have
informed me they're making some changes in response to my paper in the
next major release, including a real authentication scheme, a new
design for the BOPS subsystem, and to start phasing out their use of
SPMAA.

Feedback welcome, you can email me directly.

Tavis.