Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apache Killer

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:42:05 -0700

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM, root <root_ () fibertel com ar> wrote:

Seriously.  This is Zalewski we're talking about.  If you've extended his
work, you're doing something right.

Or perhaps, not. Respectfully, fuck this elitist bullshit.
I'm sure you and your friend are good hard-working guys. But you should
not be the focus of every press release, specially if you didn't find
the damn bug.

OK, so I looked into it.

Zalewski's stuff in 2007 was about bandwidth amplification -- with a few
requests, you could get a server to send you a truly enormous amount of
data.  Kingcope's attack shares the same vector (multiple range requests)
but uses it entirely differently, not as a drain of bandwidth on the client
but against memory on the server.  Different DoS, same buggy code.

Think of it like memory corruption -- in one person's hands, the daemon
simply crashes.  In another's, a reverse shell is born.

I don't think the press has made Zalewski the focus, though.  I looked at
the various articles on Google News; here's the distribution of credit I
see:

Register:  Credits both Kingcope and Zalewski by name
Computerworld:  Credits both Kingcope and Zalewski by name
LWN/Apache:  Credits neither, but links to Kingcope's post directly
H-Online:  Credits neither, but links to Kingcope's post directly
ZDNet:  Credits neither, but links to Kingcope's post directly
Slashdot:  Links to Kingcope's post directly, credits Zalewski by name
CRN: Credits Kingcope exclusively

For the record, it's a solid find.