Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Announcement posts and the charter (was Re: INSECT Pro 2.5.1 released)

From: Steven Pinkham <steve.pinkham () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:23:26 -0400

I agree this is a discussion worth having.  I think the policy should be
more objective to give us a clear policy to abide by and enforce.

Suggestions for policy:
1)No tool announcements.
Best rational I can think of for this one: Tool announcments should go
to the specific group they are for. Pentest, webappsec, etc are all
better places for announcements.

2)Only announcements for OSI approved projects.  Webappsec has this
policy I think, and it rewards people who share the most openly.

3)Announcements for only no-cost projects.  Similar to the above

4)Announcements for initial and major feature releases only, with a
limit of 1 announcement per x months(3,6,12- whatever we deem reasonable
as an upper bound.  I think one of the lists has this policy, and it
seems the most reasonable one to me.

Steve
Pete Smith wrote:
John,

The following line is within the list charter: Alterations will be made
after consultation with list members and a consensus has been reached.

I would like to suggest that advertising for products and tools (free or
otherwise) be limited to just an initial announcement to tell people
about the tool.
Sending updates for every single minor update made is just useless spam
for the majority of people seeing it, the people who are interested in a
product beyond the initial announcement can and will keep upto date on
changes themselves.

http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html

Cheers,
Pete

--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |