Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Orange Spain disclosing user phone number

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:57:10 +0300 (EEST)

I'm sure this has been the source of many targeted advertising SMS's and calls during the last years.

And probably many advertisers are digging the logs now:
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security/2010/08/31/orange-spain-reveals-phone-numbers-researcher-40089965/

Juha-Matti

B1towel [ben () b1towel com] kirjoitti:
It would be funny to see advertisers send targeted SMS ads using this. I bet that the advertisers of web sites that
participate in iframe ads would also get this information, assuming the Phone would load up iframe ads.

I think the provider should fix this, because if someone developed an exploit similar to the one that was able to
compromise the iPhone a while back just by sending a maliciously formed SMS message, your phone could be compromised
just by going to a website where this information is sent to the web server.

I know this is pretty obvious, just my 2 cents.