Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Nmap NOT VULNERABLE to Windows DLL Hijacking Vulnerability

From: paul.szabo () sydney edu au
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:08:36 +1000

jf <jf () ownco net> wrote:

I still don't see how this is really MSFTs fault. I mean ...theres a
fairly clear warning on MSDN for LoadLibrary & SearchPath ...

Do not confuse: SearchPath is not the issue.

Yes, there is a warning, which is recent:

  http://blogs.technet.com/b/srd/archive/2010/08/23/more-information-about-dll-preloading-remote-attack-vector.aspx
    ... we recognize that this guidance may not always have been very
    clear. We recently published an MSDN article, "Dynamic-Link Library
    Security" that provides specific guidance ...

and that says:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919712(VS.85).aspx
    Consider removing the current directory from the DLL search path by
    calling SetDllDirectory with an empty string ("").

If the default would have been "no current dir in search path" (but apps
would have needed to specifically add it if they really wanted to), then
there would be no issue.

Shame that some MS apps (Powerpoint maybe?) are affected.

---

jf <jf () ownco net> wrote:
An "exploit scenario" for nmap ...
Yeah, good luck with that.

Rohit Patnaik <quanticle () gmail com> wrote:
One problem with your scenario: any person sophisticated enough ...

Did I say that my "nmap exploit" was likely to succeed? Most home users
do not have nmap. Any person sophisticated enough, will just delve into
the source and fix it himself.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz () maths usyd edu au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia