Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: KeePass version 2.12 <= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll)

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:37:53 +0200

Do you mean that the practical solution would be for MS to set
sensible defaults? It took them many years for SafeDllSearchMode,
expect just as many for CWDIllegalInDllSearch.

Did you read my email about real-world testing of this issue?
MS issued a patch quite some time ago.
This "vulnerability" is no more on all of MS's OSes (due to the
several replies to that email, I also tested it on XP Pro SP3 +
patched...the vulnerability didn't work).

In the meantime, let us get all apps fixed.

Sure, fix them all up, be my guest. See you in 2 years' time.

Or install Ubuntu.

Perhaps you would be intrigued to know that an issue, which shares
this same concept, also applies to Linux.
Well, actually it ain't Linux's fault. It is the fault of most
scripting applications' out there (batch, php, asp and probably python
ruby sh etc, and of course, all applications that use them). And this
time it can't be easily fixed.

That said, since I consider the underlying risk well beyond useless, I
won't even bother arguing about this (so don't bother asking).

Cheers,
Chris.