Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: All the md5 hashes in every single update message sent to this list

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:10:24 +0000

Because you have a separate "out-of-band" communication from the publisher containing the hashes.  Anyone hosting the
files somewhere could have altered the patch and then generated their own MD5 hash and "signed" it themselves and
provided that on their site.  It's just another layer of authentication.

Best thing to do is just ignore it if you don't agree with the practice as you can't control how or why a developer
chooses to publish patch details.