Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows' future (reprise)

From: "lsi" <stuart () cyberdelix net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:49:00 +0100

Imagine you are in an enclosed space.  It starts to flood.  As the
water level rises, the amount of oxygen you have available falls.
Unless it stops flooding, eventually you will have no oxygen at all.

So, the CPU, RAM, diskspace, and network bandwidth of your machine,
as well as limits imposed by integer math, are the enclosed space.
Those specify the finite processing limits of your machine.  Malware
is the flood.  Oxygen is what's left in your enclosed space/machine,
once your malware defences have run.

Malware is flooding at 243% (+/- error).  This is consuming the
oxygen in your machine.  You can enlarge your enclosed space, with
hardware upgrades, but that's not stopping the flooding.

Eventually you will find it's not possible to upgrade the machine
(usually a software dependency of some kind).  At this point the
machine will run slower and slower.  Your alternatives will be to
disconnect the machine from the internet, and partially/completely
disable malware filters; or to replace the machine.

As you can see you're spending money on upgrades and replacements,
and losing productivity and/or capabilities (eg. internet access).

Meanwhile, the malware is still flooding into your enclosed space.
Every second that goes by, the rate of flooding increases.  Your boss
is screaming at you for spending a zillion on hardware.  Your users
are whinging because everything is running like a dog.  Your support
staff are running around constantly fixing machines on which the AV
has failed (yet again) to stop the latest 0-day variant.  Your
company's customers are livid because you had to tell them you had a
trojan on an accounts machine and their credit card data is now on
the web.  Your wife has the hump because you're never home, except in
a bad mood, your kids think you are a boarder, and the dog hates you
because you never take it for walks anymore.

And you now need to go to your boss and ask for more money for more
upgrades.

What are you gonna do?  Are you going to let your IT run like this
forever?  Do you think your boss will like it when you ask him for
more budget?

What is your long-term strategy for fixing this problem?

Stu