Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Making Hacking a Spectator Sport

From: Christopher Covington <cov () vt edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:38:55 -0500

Dear List,

I'm putting on a small hacking competition and am interested in making it as
accessible and interesting as possible to potentially uninformed spectators.
Does anyone have recommendations for network visualization and auralization
software that could produce pretty animations and suitable background audio?

I'd be interested in any tips for making the output as security-relevant as
possible. Packet Garden is sweet, and there are a number of other straight-up
network traffic visualization and auralization packages that look like they'd
produce suitable output, but I'm thinking I'll need to hook them up to Snort
logs rather tcpdump captures or Apache logs. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris C.