Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Possible RDP vulnerability

From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:18:33 +0000

That's funny - it was kind of a "trick answer" too. ;)

You can indeed "do that" with Vista (kind of) and Windows 7 (definitely) in combination with Server 2008.  I haven't
messed with Server 2003 in years, and have no plans to.

Here's how you do that, but before I go there, let's point out the "spirit" of the "trick question" so those playing
along at home understand the real ramifications of what you are talking about, and then I'll detail the "right" answer
(you can do whatever you want in regard to blogging, of course ;).

In general, you don't control the base connection methods a user wants to use.  This is because, again in general, you
don't tell the user what to do or how to do it on their own system.  However, with group policy and RDP settings, you
can indeed maneuver the user into "submission."  I say maneuver because if the user is a local admin, then most bets
are off.  My initial answer was correct, however, only with the following blanks filled in (thus the "trick" part).

With GP you can control the behavior of what happens if the client cannot validate the identity of the server.   Thus,
you can say "if you don't trust the server, you don't connect."  Further, you can control what certificate chains are
being trusted; ie, only corp resources.  Therefore, you can (for the most part) keep the users from establishing
connections to "rogue" servers, or at least, make it obvious to them.  The video you showed failed to take into account
that the "rogue" server in question had to already have an account created for the user, which kind of is a "show
stopper."  I mean, if you already have their username and password to create the account for them to log into, then all
bets are off.   Continuing, given the fact you can (again, for the most part) control what RDP hosts a user can connect
to, you then leverage host-based GPO that prevents the user from sharing clipboard, disks, printers, etc upon
connection.  That setting is enforced by the server.

So, in combination, you can indeed use Group Policy to prevent users from sharing their disks.  I will call that an "I
win" and request some other prize other than your blogging about dude. :D

Let's take things one step further for those who are interested in this.  Before allowing people to just connect to
your server, I would suggest that the connect is based on gateway services that require a certificate to connect up to
in the first place.  Then, all the hubbub about Dorphly Diprod user connecting up and "bypassing security" and all that
other crap is obviated.  Further, simply deploy the connectoid via a signed RDP file.  Done.  If they try to change the
file, it won't work anymore.  Super easy stuff, and it goes a long way toward helping to secure one's RDP access
environment.

But as a "Big Time Security Professional" you probably knew that :)  I guess I should now go read your blog to see if
my prize would be a good thing or a bad thing :-p