Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fingerprinting Paper with Laser

From: mrx <mrx () propergander org uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:51:40 +0000

Consider a production line for printing anything that is used for access control. Now providing there is absolute
consistency across every
sample of the material printed/magnetised or otherwise marked during a production run, then only one token need be
scanned by laser. This
single data set can then be used by access points to verify the validity of said token(s) when presented.

The token can be a bus ticket, a passport, currency or indeed anything that can be manufactured consistently to the
tolerances that this laser
scanning system requires.

Of course given access to the same scanning equipment a hacker could scan the tokens and obtain the required data for
cloning the material that
the token is made from. However, how difficult would it be to replicate the production process required to actually
clone the material the token
is made from? Not to mention any other security mechanisms that may be employed.

I think there is a control potential here but only if the manufacturing tech is precise enough.

mrx

T Biehn wrote:
So your proposition is that the passport manufacturers all use laser
beams on each passport they create and that this whitelist be somehow
distributed to each and every airport and border check-point?

lol.

How bout we just let them get PKI right first.

-Travis

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM, james o' hare