Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Chrome and Safari users open to stealth HTML5 Application Cache attack

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 02:18:41 +0200

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:41 AM, Chris Evans <scarybeasts () gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:

In summary, any http hit on an insecure network is dangerous on all
browsers.
(FWIW, Chromium resolves this for me. When I type mail<enter> into the
omnibar, it auto-completes to https://mail.google.com/)

Actually, I see this as a legitimate gap.  HTTP links don't cache-mix
with
HTTPS links, and cookies can have server-side integrity checking to
prevent
HTTP pollution (lets not talk about the secure tag for cookies), but if
it
is indeed the case that there is no way to have a HTTPS-exclusive
Application Cache, then that is a feature killing bug that's been
legitimately called out.

Eh? Lava's attack poisons a plain HTTP resource. As per "regular"
caching, Application Cache is supposed to separate the effects of HTTP
and HTTPS responses.

==
On unsecured networks, attackers could stealthily
create malicious Application Caches in the browser of victims for even HTTPS
sites.
It has always been possible to poison the browser cache and compromise the
victim's account for HTTP based sites.
With HTML5 Application Cache, it is possible to poison the cache of even
HTTPS sites.
==

Is it agreed that if the above is true -- meaning, separation doesn't
actually exist -- then there's a bug?

Cheers
Chris

--Dan