Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Day of bugs in WordPress 2

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:37:25 +0200

How does writing your site/project from scratch, (I presume that's what you
mean when you suggest a text editor as a replacement for a CMS), result in
"higher" security?
I agree only a few percentage of the average CMS development care for half
of it's security, but if they can't get it right, what makes you think you
can?

Besides, writing bad code with the excuse of an evangelic editor seems to me
like the number one cause of leaving faults (seriously, does anyone believe
that the writers of WP never used or heard about VIM?).

That said, I'm comfortable with a high-level editor, where at the click of a
button, I get full statistics reports on my program's performance, whereas
the conventional asks for a couple of commands in the console.

If you truly want to write something as much secure as it can be, forget the
security hype and crap out there and get seriously knowledgeable on a target
language. The use of the editor does no practical difference - I've been
tasked to fix server code via windows cmd FTP and MS Notepad, big deal.

Cheers.