Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Expired certificate

From: Marsh Ray <marsh () extendedsubset com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:28:42 -0500

On 07/22/2010 08:05 PM, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

That's $240K/yr being spent to manage three year expirations, just on
labor.

Yep.

But as Dr. Laura would say, "you knew that before you married her".

Nobody said you had to go into that business, or that you were entitled
to make a profit on it.

And, of course, you see the result of this:  People don't go ahead
and put 500 different certs on 500 different machines.  Instead, you
end up with an Internet having but a million SSL endpoints, only half
of which even pretend to have a validating certificate.

Costs can hide.  Consequences are another matter.

I don't see that 8 hours every 2 days should quite come to $1/4M per
year, and I suspect a competent organization could roll out routine cert
changes in under 8 hours on average. But let's suppose it does.

What might be the unintended consequences be of having 500 "secure"
sites hosted by folks that can't manage to spend one day every three
freakin' years on maintenance?

I know, it probably doesn't add that way logically, but just sayin'.

- Marsh