Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Disk wiping -- An alternate approach?

From: T Biehn <tbiehn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:38:47 -0500

Bipin.
I am familiar with LUKS (DMCRYPT), SecurStar's DCPP, TrueCrypt, PGP
Desktop, Windows EFS and all manners of configurations of those
products, including the hidden container features of DCPP and TC.

I am familiar with computer forensics, computer forensic methods, and
anti-forensics. Furthermore I have working knowledge of the various
one-way hashes, symmetric and asymmetric encryption algorithms.
Working knowledge of the various block-cipher modes and what the
differences are between them.

From firsthand experience with the courts I am familiar with their
tool dependence and what they can and cannot grab and why.

From simple logic it is plain to see that filling a drive with content
from wikipedia, some n-gram algorithm or other source would be
worthless. A waste of time and effort.

This is because a drive full of zeros, a drive full of random bits and
a drive full of random word garbage are equivalent.

Some obfuscating filesystem that does -not- use encryption is as
worthless as a generic F-S. If the content on your drive is worth
grabbing the investigating authorities can and will reverse engineer
it.

As everyone has told you, encrypt with a FDE product from the start or
simply wipe your drive to nulls or garbage.

If you are very paranoid use my solution of a hidden container
containing a VM that you use for anything 'private.' Make sure your
host OS has a ream of malware running on it preferably pointed to
non-existent C&C channels, or using PKI where which nobody has the
private key.

-Travis