Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: e107 latest download link is backdoored

From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:31:18 +0100

If that is so, being silent on the matter is not good at all...

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Bogdan Calin <bogdan () acunetix com> wrote:

Here is my speculation on what happened:

A few days ago, somebody found and exploited a e107 0day (for 0.7.16) on
some websites. The e107 guys were informed about this and released
0.7.17 to fix this problem.

However, at this point I suspect they were already hacked because they
are running e107 on e107.org and they were an obvious target.

The attackers waited until they released the security fix (0.7.17) and
modified the zip file to include the backdoor.

At this point, most e107 site owners were rushing to upgrade because of
security update announcement and I suspect that many people have
downloaded the backdored binary.

However, this is just a speculation. I have no actual data behind it.

Christian Sciberras wrote:
Don't know the date at your place, but it's 25th Jan here, not 22nd. ;)

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Michael Holstein <