Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ACM.ORG data leak still there 4 days after announcing to CEO John White

From: Benji <me () b3nji com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:52:33 +0000

Not to be a dick or anything, but whether it should be or not is irrelevant,
it is a crime. As you seem to be a "security expert"  doing "penetration
testing and security audits" I'm sure you'd understand that for example, a
remote file include is literally just a case of 'modifying one parameter of
an url'.

You didnt enumerate passwords, well, I guess that makes the crime slightly
less serious. Personal info isnt worth that much I've heard.

Infact, by publishing data and the fact there is a hole, you could argue
that infact you couldve made the situation worse for ACM. Hypothetically,
now you've displayed that a hole is there, someone could go and dump the
database saving them the time of even looking for a vulnerable site.

I'm just wondering what makes you so sure they wont do anything like that?