Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSD and WDE

From: Abuse007 <abuse007 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:25:46 +1100

Hi Paul,

I'm not aware if any, though I'm sure there are some. My understanding is that there shouldn't be any major issues with
Full Disk Encryption on SSD. Modifying files might write the new data to a new physical sector, as part of wear
levelling, leaving a copy of the old data in the old sector. This might provide some benefit to cryptanalysis.

Compared to having a plaintext file system and then encrypting an existing file, which will possibly leave some or all
of the plaintext behind due to wear levelling - FDE is much better.