Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DLL hijacking with Autorun on a USB drive

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:14:05 -0700

On Aug 31, 2010, at 4:08 PM, paul.szabo () sydney edu au wrote:

Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:

I can differentiate my coolProposal.doc from msword.exe just fine..

Uh huh. Here, let me go ahead and create 2010 Quarterly
Numbers.ppt.exe with a changed icon, and see what you notice.

So you (Dan) can differentiate. Why couldn't other do the same?

It's not that they can't. It's that they don't, and we have huge
amounts of data confirming this. Have you never been to a Moxie
Marlinspike talk?  His success rates on SSL Stripping a tor node were
100%. 100%!!!

Do you honestly think you are so much smarter than anyone else?

It's not about intelligence, it's about what you and I care about. For
example, I don't care about how cars work. I want to put my key in the
ignition and go.

There's only so much anyone really cares about. Outside of our little
club here, people want the computer to just work.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz () maths usyd edu au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney
Australia