Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Dumb question: Is Windows box behind a router safe ?

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:52:18 -0400

Pretty much all it's going to take is one exploit delivered through
email (link, pdf, etc.) and the box is owned.

Botnet clients work by connecting outward (phoning home) so the
firewall & router won't do anything for illicit outgoing traffic
unless you set up egress filtering to catch it.

I would say patch that box immediately, a lot of vulnerabilities have
come along since 2008.