Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: When is it valid to claim that a vulnerability leads to a remote attack?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:13:09 -0400

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 22:32:49 CDT, Rohit Patnaik said:
Well, why are you relying on Thierry's clock to date your message?
Your e-mail client should use your local clock/mail server clock to
timestamp messages.

Hint: your e-mail client *can't* timestamp this message, because it has
no *clue* when I hit send on this message.  Consider that you can't even
trust the timestamp on the first Received: header, because I could very
well have composed the mail and hit send while offline, and it got posted
to a server once I had network connectivity again.

The  sending MUA is responsible for this, but often an end-user MUA will fail
to add a Date: header and the fixup is done at the first mail server,