Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Patents the "sudo" command

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:59:11 -0500

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:36:19 EST, "Todd C. Miller" said:

privileges.  The actual "invention" appears to be that the user is
able to perform an action as a different user without having to
type in the name of that other user when authenticating.

Umm... my check of my 'sudo' manpage says that the '-u username' is
optional, and I don't remember having to use '-u root', so it's supported
doing it without having to type the target username for years...

Unless I'm misunderstanding your interpretation of the invention and how
it compares to traditional sudo usage?