Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Is FFSpy a hoax?

From: T Biehn <tbiehn () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 01:16:36 -0400

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:46 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:05:02 EDT, T Biehn said:
Consider a defense within the realm of possibility:
On install firefox requests that the user enter an identifier. This
identifier is presented to the user in the top bar of his browser
window. Firefox 'locks' all script files while it is on.
Firefox self-encrypts to the one-way-hash of the files.
A user will know they have been compromised because the identifier
cannot match if firefox.exe has been replaced by another version that
supersedes the checks if the identifier is stored as part of the
encrypted program stub.

Several problems here:

1) Self-encrypting to the one-way-hash doesn't solve the problem - an
attacker can decrypt the stored file, extract the identifier, and then
save the backdoored file encrypted to the new hash, identifier and all.
(Hint - this is exactly what you'd have to do on a *legitimate* update
of an extension...)

2) And in fact, encrypting to the expected hash value doesn't actually do
much for you - if I know the expected hash value is 0x349F3D, I can just
use that to store an encrypted backdoored file whose hash in fact *isn't*
0x349F3D.  Now, *once retrieved*, you probably should re-check the hash
of the retrieved file, and make sure it is still 0x349F3D - but at that
point, the crypting is pointless, as all you care about is the before/after
hashes of the plaintext. Now finding a secure way to store that "before"
hash - *that's* the hard part (in general, you can't store it anyplace the
user can write to, which makes a legitimate update "interesting")

3) The usual warnings about using a good crypto-strength hash function apply.
I haven't seen a break for MD5 that allows colliding to a pre-determined hash
yet.  The key word here is "yet". ;)

4) You'd probably have to decide between having one master identifier which
would piss off users and break every time Firefox or any extension released a
patch, or having one identifier per extension, and piss off users who can't
remember all the identifiers...

5) A small UI real estate problem - at least on my Linux box, Firefox is
already using the window titlebar to display the <title> tag from the page.
I suspect that users still want that behavior, so you need to find a way
to co-exist with that. But heck, if Firefox Minefield builds can stick
a build ID onto the titlebar, what's another 10-15 chars? ;)

VK: Did you read the first sentence of my e-mail and then ignore the rest?
Pretty obvious from the above.

-Travis