Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: NO-IP service Flaw

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:57:51 -0500

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:41:59 GMT, infolookup () gmail com said:
What if you are sniffing the traffic for any http session the information is
submitted in clear text.

If you're traffic sniffing, you'll see the data whether it's GET or POST.
The distinction becomes important for things like http proxies and things
that log/remember URLs - it's somewhat bad form to leave a userid/password
sitting right there in the browser 'recent URLS' list or in a logfile someplace.

If you're passing the data in the URL, at best it can be obfuscated and
reversed fairly easily (unless you've got enough Javascript to pop open a
dialog window and use an entered value as a salt for encrypting before
transmission).

Yes, the proper thing to do here is a POST over https.

Personally, I'm surprised that a frikking *domain registrar* is that clueless
about basic security (the *biggest* issue in what would otherwise be a pretty
minor vulnerability).

Or maybe I'm not, actually..  I wonder what *else* they got wrong?