Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows 7 UAC compromised

From: "Elazar Broad" <elazar () hushmail com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:53:41 -0500

Exactly, so we only make him click for non system
applets/utilities, and we determine that by digital signatures,
which is exactly how UAC is implemented in Windows 7. With that
said, now we are back to the original issue, a computer is only as
smart(or dumb, my apologies to the AI crowd) as the guy who
programmed it, or in other words, how hard(or easy) is it to spoof
a system applet/utility?

Human nature dictates(most of the time) that we can become
desensitized to things that are routine or occur often, in other
words, the more UAC prompts, the more blind clicking, then again,
did Joe Sixpack bother to read the first UAC prompt when he started
up his shiny new Vista for the 1st time.

Now, if we wired UAC up to a mouse with an electrode embedded in
the left mouse button, we might have a solution. Of course the
voltage would need to increase slightly over the life of the mouse
in order to solve the blind shock and click problem...

elazar

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 05:57:03 -0500 Yudi Rosen