Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft: ‘Piracy no longer poses a threat to us’

From: Kevin Wilcox <kevin () tux appstate edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:45:32 -0500

2009/12/3 dramacrat <yirimyah () gmail com>:

How many legit copies of Windows 7 Ultimate have they sold? Three? Or was it
four?
I guess this is their way of competing with free software... making
their software free (yes, yes, money-free vs freedom-free, i know) except to
those thick enough (or lawsuit vulnerable enough, ie governments
and corporations) to pay.

Or to those who feel software developers should be compensated for
their time and efforts. It's why some of us buy new copies of OpenBSD
when they make a release, or why some of us have a purchased copy for
each production device we deploy. It's the reason we have a valid,
purchased license of Windows [XP Pro | 7 Ultimate | whatever previous
version] for each machine that's running it. If we're using and
benefiting from the code, why shouldn't the developers get
compensated?

Not everyone has the same feeling of entitlement and greed that you
just displayed and I daresay that neither makes us "lawsuit
vulnerable" nor "thick".

kmw

--
Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a