Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: stupid question again

From: Randall M <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:13:09 -0600

From: Randy

It's an iPhone Thang!

On Dec 11, 2009, at 9:26 PM, Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
wrote:

i am so sorry. I just don't understand this. Computer is infected.
user has
DNS redirects to any and all site for help. Why can't the good guys
use some
type of fast flux or url obfuscation to hide help standalone
software to
down load and use? you know, maybe I am just so damn ignorant that
what I
think is a simple idea to use for Mcafee, F-secure and such to
offer help is
why its not used. I mean really, bad guys hide C&C and download
server
through such means, why can't the good guys? Someone just get right
down and
explain this crap to me. I am so adamant that this type of idea,
though not
fully fool proof, can't work.

Hi RandallM,

The answer is:  Once you're infected, you shouldn't be trying to clean
things.  Reinstall.

Need files off of that box first?  Mount the drive under another OS,
or better yet, use the sleuthkit to get them off.

cheers,
tim

NO!! Not the answer. Average user won't and don't know how and usually
don't recieve install disks