Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Free wlan sniffer for vista

From: Jon Janego <jonjanego () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:49:58 -0500

Your issue is probably coming from the Vista wireless card drivers not
being supporting your card in promiscuous mode.

In Windows one of the few guaranteed promiscuous mode cards is the
CACE AirPcap card.  that integrates well with Wireshark and Cain &
Abel, also.  About $200, unfortunately.

With AirPcap you can then use wireshark or tshark as a reliable sniffer.

Honestly, though, you may as well just boot backtrack and sniff from
there, then post-process in Vista.  Will save you some money,
especially if your laptop card is supported in linux.