Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: 0day auctions, should they be outlawed?

From: "Some Guy Posting To Full Disclosure" <fd.leach () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:51:57 -0800

It's futile trying to use the law to change things.
It will simply force people into the shadows. Which today involves
using tor and some Russian web money account.

I read a slogan from before my time, in a book: "If source is outlawed
outlaws will have source" - same applies to zero days.

Anyway I don't think it should be Illegal. I own a set of lock picks -
I don't intend to break into someone's house. And if I did I'd go to
jail (for the burglary and being equipped with picks), untill then I'm
innocent. The UKs law has an attitude like that - I like it!
Resources should go into actually preventing crimes taking place. Not
stumbling around hoping that making it awkward for criminals to get
the tools they need will make a difference.

Simon.