Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsot DID DISCLOSE potential Backdoor

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 10:06:23 -0500

--On Wednesday, May 07, 2008 17:27:18 -0400 Darth Jedi
<darth.jedi () ihackformoney com> wrote:

Undisclosed breach of personal privacy, or great tool to thwart criminals?

I'm a bit torn - I think it's great that this tool can be used to help
identify and stop botnets (who really likes 'em anyway); but at the same
time, I am not very impressed that Microsoft hid(?) this disclosure from the
users - packaging the product as a tool to help users with malicious
software - does it even remove the malicious software or just monitor it?  I
always was a bit confused when I couldn't find an interface for configuring
my Microsoft supplied Spyware protection! =P

Note: "this tool" != MSRT.  "This tool" == botnet hunter.

You're comparing apples with oranges.  The is precisely the muddying of the
waters that J. Oquendo is seeking to stir up emotions.

Did anyone really have an idea that the Malicious Software Removal Tool was
scanning and sending information about their computers & their network usage
to Microsoft [and honestly - so what if the EULA said something to the likes
that "we might use some information gathered" - that's so vague, who really
reads that and thinks "Ok, they are going to be watching all the traffic
across my network if I install this tool"] - perhaps the fault is to be laid
at the users feet - who inherently trust Microsoft - I mean, is that really
a good idea in the first place?

It clearly says that on the download page.  It's not Microsoft's fault if you
don't bother to read it.

I also wonder, these EULA's usually say something to the effect of "this
information won't be used to personally identify you" - does the EULA of
MSRT state this, and if so, do botnet owners not count, and if not, we're
all pretty foolish to be installing it then aren't we?

Yes, their web page (I don't see any EULA) states that they don't collect
personally identifiable information.  Furthermore, the botnet tool is a
separate tool.  The page also states that after the tool is run, it deletes
itself.  So, when you are infected with something, the tool will detect and
clean it *and* send some information about the infection back to M$.

I'm willing to bet they still won't know your pants size or where you bank.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst