Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenID. The future of authentication on the web?

From: "Petko D. Petkov" <pdp.gnucitizen () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:17:42 +0000

Indeed but this can be a subsystem, a feature of the OpenID provider.
For example, some OpenID providers have the feature to choose
different persons depending on the usage. So it will be easier to
safeguard a persona within one openid provider. So for example, in my
current OpenID setup I have two personas. One for daily use which is
completely useless and one for mission critical stuff. Although the
mission critical persona is not safeguarded :) (lack of
functionalities here) if such a feature is implemented, wouldn't be
that much better? :)

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Gorn <gorn () xs4all nl> wrote:
Petko D. Petkov wrote:

 > As I said, if you don't trust public OpenID providers, roll your own.
 > It is very, very, very easy.

 You seem to miss one point, in the current online environment you are
 not talking about 5 or 6 id/credentials but more like 20 to 30.
 (remember each blog you post to, each mailing list each web store
 requires its own id/credentials.) OpenID provides for the possibility to
 group these id's by function and select the correct provider with the
 safeguards you want for each group. An OpenID for money related
 transactions would need more safeguards as an OpenID for lets say full
 disclosure ;-)

 FG

--

Petko D. (pdp) Petkov | GNUCITIZEN | Hakiri | Spin Hunters

gnucitizen.org | hakiri.org | spinhunters.org