Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Firewire Attack on Windows Vista

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:36:33 -0400

You're mistaken in thinking that we're conflating sleep and hibernate
modes.
Microsoft's response of using two factor authentication is silly. It
doesn't actually stop our attacks. In certain circumstances, it may
shorten the window of attack for a specific type of user but it's mostly
irrelevant. Consider a mail server with an encrypted drive, no proximity
sensor or two factor authentication is going to help you. A seizure will
still result in someone getting the keys that are in memory
- unless you're using some sort of secure crypto co-processor (which no
one is).

From your own paper:

Microsoft ... recommends configuring BitLocker in "advanced
mode," where it protects the disk key using the TPM along with a
password or a key on a removable
USB device. However, even with these measures, BitLocker is vulnerable
if an attacker gets to the system
while the screen is locked or the computer is asleep (though not if it
is hibernating or powered off).

So in other words, hibernate does make a difference, especially if you
follow their guidelines.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com