Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: simple phishing fix

From: "lsi" <stuart () cyberdelix net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:53:18 +0100

summary
-------

Of all the approaches below I like the simple list of strings in the
email
client (the first link).  This is because it's a DENY ALL policy.
The
other approaches below, AFAICS, use ACCEPT ALL and then try and find
reasons to block the mail.  The first approach simply blocks them
all!  Sure, you
want to receive mail from the Bank of Foo, just don't put
bankoffoo.com in
your list!

Frankly, email should not be used by banks, due to the risk of
impersonation, and if this DENY ALL approach causes them to stop
using email to send messages to customers, good.

So let's not waste time on fancy error-prone algorithms, purleeze!

a quick review of deployed anti-phishing technologies

0. filter against the FROM field using a blacklist in the email
client:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2008/Jul/0488.html

1. software from Symantec, McAfee etc, integrated into their desktop
security suites, filtering method not disclosed.

2. there's anti-phishing filters for IE, Firefox and maybe Opera -
filtering method not researched (we want to stop the phish before the
user
even opens the email, they should never see the link that takes them
their browser),

3. article says CMU have developed an unreleased filter, using pretty
standard anti-spam techniques, plus some attempt at matching the
stated
domainname against URLs listed in the bodytext:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/columns/executive_tech/article.php/36
2074
1

The phishing filter in Thunderbird apparently uses a similar
technique (eg. comparing the sender's domainname against URLs in the
bodytext, a technique which reportedly is a bit flaky.

4. article says GoDaddy filter scans URLs in bodytext against a
blacklist:

http://help.godaddy.com/article/645

5. software says it uses some kind of user-generated database (eg.
users report stats to a central server via client software):

http://spam-fighter.qarchive.org/

6. post says google are using DKIM to detect phish:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/fighting-phishing-with-ebay-and-
payp
al.html

(gmail's phish detection reportedly suffers from false-positives)

7. article says to use a Bayesian filter (unspecified):

http://ezinearticles.com/?Phishing-Filter---How-to-Use-Phishing-
Filters-to
-Prevent-Any-Information-Theft&id=919156

8. product claims to use "rate controls" (eg. mails/minute) to detect
phish:

http://www.moonslice.com/hosting/spamds.htm