Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DNS Cache Dan Kamikaze (Actual Exploit Discussion)

From: "eugaaa () gmail com" <eugaaa () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:44:19 -0500

If the nameserver is "down" most likely the resolver is going to try a
different one. Meaning you're back to square one. Which is why I asked
what happens if the resolver recv's a response after it's been told
the nameserver is down. In any case, I'm not even sure how resolvers
handle dest unreachables. And again, I think that avenue is moot.

As for your question about theory versus practicality. 2^16 seems
possible. This exact same problem exist with ASLR implementations as
well as stack protection mechanisms (canary values etc). I think even
vista's current address space randomization is 16-bits. However with
these DNS transaction ID's you're not looking at a random number. It's
scope is limited because you've seen the transaction ID's of each
request you've made. IE my first request was 125, my second was 133,
etc. Meaning you pick a number higher up (180) and try to win the
race.

Any BIND pros here?