Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PWDumpX v1.4 (and GUI:s)

From: Stanislaw Klekot <dozzie () dynamit im pwr wroc pl>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:28:19 +0100

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 09:36:07PM +0200, Markus Jansson wrote:
OK, OK, I get your point. If you use GUI, you are lamer, because you
could do fine without them 20 years ago so you should be able to do
just fine without them now too. Its just "lazy mans way of doing
things" to use GUI, and especially lazy and "now knowledge enought
peoples" way of doing things.

Nope. It's just a more convenient way of doing things. I understand that
you can't imagine that someone could use this tool not as standalone
tool, but as a part of some script in bigger system. With GUI-only
programs it's very difficult. On the other side, writing for command
line tools a frontend in Tcl/Tk, Perl/Tk, PyGTK or anything else is very
easy.

Wake up to this day people. Things evolve. DOS is 20 years old stuff.
If you are still running only DOS or other command line OS stuff, I
think that you really should concider upgrading to OS and stuff that
have clean, easy and fast GUI:s.

Hey, wake up. Your small desktop is not a center of the world. There are
systems where command line is an essential.

(BTW. My doubleclicking on desktop icon is maybe 200x faster than you
writing two lines of command line crap to get the program to do the
same thing I make it do with just doubleclicking it with my mouse.)

Bullshit. I've never seen anybody who can point an icon and click it
in shorter time than the time that casual admin needs to write
a single-word command (you can write a script or alias for commonly used
commands).

--
Stanislaw Klekot