Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: 21 Million German bank accounts stolen - but accounts are still more secure than many other ones

From: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter () hogyros de>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:35:56 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 03:45:26PM +0200, Viktor Larionov wrote:

By baking trojans, I meant trojans injecting additional payment information
into your bank transfers - e.g. you make 5 payments, but the trojan makes
also the sixth one, still browser with the help of a trojan displays you
only 5 of them.

That wouldn't work, since the additional transaction would require a
one-time password as well. Replacing a transaction works if you have
control over the browser, but many banks have reacted already and offer to
send the password via SMS along with a copy of the transaction data so you
have a second channel.

During the next year, I expect a trojan that infects phones and looks for
messages with account data and passwords, then forwards them over the
internet (hooray for always-on UMTS) so they can be matched to hijacked
browsers.

What I'd like to see in the next two years (but I'm not holding my breath)
would be a (standardized?) "security module" in mobile phones that is
independent from the rest of the system and can take over display and
keypad, indicated via a dedicated LED; this way, the message containing the
password could be encrypted without a trojan ever having a chance to access
it.

Still there are very successfull strategies used by banks to fight this -
mostly based on social analysis of your behavement, but that's another
story.

Yes, I was without access to my bank account for a whole week because it
doesn't fit my usual behaviour pattern to rent a room in a shady district
of Madrid. :-/

   Simon