Full Disclosure mailing list archives

When will they ever get it !?!?!?!

From: wilder_jeff Wilder <wilder_jeff () msn com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:09:12 -0600

As you will all know I am one never to post, but I had to bring this to a discussion point.

I received an e-mail today from the Gallup Journal inviting me to join their LEET management spam list.
Within this inventation, they had provided me with my username (Ahhh how nice) and my password ({GASP} OMG!) in clear
text (WTF!).

So, I track down the domain admin... she has no idea... I get run through the support gauntlet until I assist upon
supervisor, Please hold.  As I sit and listen to something that should be played at a funeral, not much further from
the death march,  I was graciously hung up on; the man is now pissed.

I wouldnt be so upset had this username and password ( be generic or single use) but it is from and active websites
that I currently visit.  I can understand if I had asked them to send me a password... or had a formal relationship
with them; however, this is not the case.

I was wondering if anyone else received this same e-mail?   As a security assessor, I see so many large companies that
just dont get it. What will it take for an orginization such as Gallup to understand the fundementals of security.

-enjoy!