Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why do the URLs of the post keep changing in lists.grok.org.uk?

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:51:15 +0000 (UTC)

: I usually keep the links of some interesting vulnerabilities posted in
: this mailing list. But when I try to access them after 6 months or so, I
: find that some of the links are invalid and some of them are pointing to
: different posts? Why does this happen?

When the list administrators recieve a takedown notice or request to
remove something, they delete the post. This causes the archive to
re-index and renumber, causing the entire archive to change.

This was noticed by several vulnerability databases that reference posts
and the above was the explanation received. I suggested that instead of
deleting the entire message, they should just remove the body of the post
instead, and replace it with a brief note explaining the content was
removed at the request of X.