Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Holes in the firewall of Mac OS X Leopard

From: "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery () ece cmu edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:02:44 -0400

On Oct 29, 2007, at 17:49 , Juergen Schmidt wrote:

- if you set it to "Block all incoming connections" it still allows
access
to certain system services. We could access the ntp daemon that is
running
per default over the internet. In a LAN based scenario, we were
able to
query the Netbios naming service even with full blocking enabled.

The firewall in Tiger, and presumably Leopard, only affects TCP
services by default (you can enable UDP filtering in the Advanced
settings).  So no change here from the status quo.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery () kf8nh com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery () ece cmu edu