Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: TCP Hijacking (aka Man-in-the-Middle)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:40:53 -0400

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:09:47 PDT, Oliver said:

I have been searching all over the place to find an answer to this question,
but Google has made me feel unlucky these last few days. I hope I could find
more expertise here. The burning question I have been pondering over is -
could TCP connections be hijacked both ways?

Quick summary:

Steve Bellovin pointed out the issue. 19<stone age>

Kevin Mitnick exploited it. 19<bronze age>

Steve wrote RFC1948, which basically said "Use randomized ISNs so the attacker
has to work harder at it". 1996.

A lot of vendors sort of implemented it. 1996-2000.

Michael Zalewski did a nice phase-space analysis and showed a lot of vendors
botched it. http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/oldtcp/tcpseq.html 2000

A lot of vendors fixed their shit, but a lot didn't.
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/newtcp/ 2001.

You're now caught up to 6 years ago.