Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Windows default ZIP handler bug

From: "Kristian Erik Hermansen" <kristian.hermansen () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:40:48 -0700

On 10/15/07, 3APA3A <3APA3A () security nnov ru> wrote:
Can  not reproduce it on patched Windows XP. May be it's DynaZIP library
buffer overflows fixed with MS04-34.

I think it should work.  Try this and let me know if the ZIP handler crashes...
* Open IIIIIIIIJJJJJJJJKKKKKKKKLLLLLLLL.zip
* Then the EEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.zip embedded within
* Click the "UP-DIRECTORY" button
* Crash ...

It may be possible to exploit this without any user interaction, for
instance, while extraction is occurring.  Or, it may also be possible
to integrate a path similar to the '..' tar traversal that was
published recently.  I have no idea.  If you find that it does crash
on your latest updated XP, let us know...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen