Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Enable secret 5 : Cisco Password

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:14:19 -0700

On 5/23/07, Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu> wrote:
Dork, show me a full set of a-zA-Z0-9{8} rainbow tables with salted
md5 and I will show you a picture of me in a bathing suit.

My *point* was that a rainbow attack against is a lot faster than a
brute-force with JTR or similar. Might as well try the easier options first.

what Knud was indicating is that rainbow tables work against unsalted
(or minimally salted) targets.  for example, lanman is a great target
- it uses md5, but does not salt.  if you have 200G to spare, this
works great.

properly salted md5 is immune to rainbow table attacks.

(now, as for generating collisions, there have been some nice advances
in md5 tunneling attacks, but the cost is still too large for targeted
md5 collisions iirc.  someone will correct me if i'm wrong, i'm
sure...)

best regards,