Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: noise about full-width encoding bypass?

From: "Brian Eaton" <eaton.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:28:27 -0400

On 5/21/07, ascii <ascii () katamail com> wrote:
Brian Eaton wrote:
To summarize what I've heard from various sources: I am missing
something important. =)  Both PHP and ASP.NET will decode these
characters into their ASCII equivalents.

(AFAIK)

Only ASP.NET/IIS decodes that automatically.

PHP *can* do that as like JSP and probably others but that has
to happen explicitly in the application code or on an other layer.

(Cracking up that somebody going by the handle ascii is commenting on
character encoding issues. =)

Given how few application platforms decode full-width unicode to ASCII
equivalents, is there a case to be made that those application
platforms that do decide this conversion is a good idea are broken?

Put another way: should this be considered a bug in ASP.NET?

Regards,
Brian