Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: noise about full-width encoding bypass?

From: "Brian Eaton" <eaton.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 11:33:08 -0400

On 5/21/07, Łukasz Pilorz <lukasz () pilorz net> wrote:
I think this encoding bypass may have some impact on applications
which convert data from Unicode/UTF to other encodings. A naive
example:
http://lukasz.pilorz.net/testy/full_width_utf/index.phps

But I don't suggest this was the main problem, I have probably missed
something too.

Your POC works for me, the PHP iconv code converts the UTF-8 byte
sequence 0xef  0xbc 0x9C to ASCII '<'.  Looks like PHP applications
may be at risk.

The java CharsetDecoder class does not.  (I don't think this will be
JRE specific, but I tested the IBM JRE...).

The perl Encode module does not.

Anybody have an IIS server handy, to test out how .NET handles this?

Regards,
Brian