Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Newest hacks

From: Saeed Abu Nimeh <drellman () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:45:38 -0500

similar to this:
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2007/Feb/0285.html
We discovered a new potential threat that we term "Drive-by Pharming".
An attacker can create a web page containing a simple piece of malicious
JavaScript code. When the page is viewed, the code makes a login attempt
into the user's home broadband router and attempts to change its DNS
server settings (e.g., to point the user to an attacker-controlled DNS
server). Once the user's machine receives the updated DNS settings from
the router (e.g., after the machine is rebooted) future DNS request are
made to and resolved by the attacker's DNS server.

wangkaig () lenovo com wrote:
Hi guys,

I noticed a news recently.Researchers at Indiana University's Department
of Computer Science recently released a report outlining a way hackers
could potentially access and change the configuration routers on home
networks. They described how some JavaScript built into a Web page could
be used to log into the administrator account of a home router and change
its DNS (define) settings.The Indiana University report points out that
this attack doesn't exploit any browser vulnerability, and, more
importantly, it seems to work with pretty much any router,rrespective of
brand or model.Any idea how to program the javascript to modify the DNS
configuration?

Best Regards

Ken