Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Windows Vista/2003/XP/2000 file management security issues

From: Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:47:03 -0500

So, let me get this. An app storing sensitive data doesn't make its own
temp storage folders in a secure location, and instead relies upon one
of the few folders in Windows that all users have Full Control to, and
this is a Windows problem?  In Linux, if an app uses \tmp, is that a
Linux issue?

Sounds like a developer issue to me.

No, I never said I blame Windows for a poorly written app such as this.
Don't jump to conclusions.

Many developers might think using predictable filenames in TEMP might be
ok, since Windows doesn't (yet) have issues related to symlink attacks.
However, ZARAZA has shown a few ways to exploit this lame practice
anyway, beyond just a DoS.  That's all I'm saying.

tim